Thursday 29 November 2012

Newbury Winter Festival - Day Two


Yesterday being the first time I’d put anything up on the new blog (for today at Newbury), there felt a need to have a winner or 2, and thankfully we did!! Meganisi opened the day winning the first race, Parsnip Pete wasn’t put up as a bet selection and I didn’t back him, but suggested the soft ground had been the key and there may be more to come and there was. After Otto The Great pulled up in the next I was hoping it hadn’t been a flash in the pan, but Harry Topper got up in a cracking finish to the competitive novice chase and made the day!! He is certainly a horse to be on the right side of for the future. The opening price of 7/1 last night was much appreciated as he went off 3/1 so hopefully you got on early! Cedre Bleu was a bitter disappointment and maybe didn’t stay, but Lyvius (again not tipped as a bet but favourably mentioned) did the business in the Gerry Fielden to secure a few more pennies, before the also mentioned Alan King bumper horse ran a cracker for 2nd in a race where I feel the first 2 will go on to better things.
 
 
On to tomorrow and the market for the opening juvenile hurdle at 12.30pm is likely to be dominated by the Nicholls runner with Ruby Walsh aboard, but if I have a bet in this (I’ll assess the market first) I may take a chance on the Colin Tizzard trained Bold Cuffs. Obviously not knowing how a race littered with unraced sorts will pan out, Tizzard recently said in his stable tour that they wanted something to get on with and bought this one off the flat from Sir Mark Prescott, who reckoned he could end up a Champion Chase horse. Now whether that’s the case I don’t know, but he must be fairly smart to even warrant such a comment so if an each way price he may be worth a nibble.
 
The 1pm Mares Hurdle may only have 6 runners but it is by no means uncompetitive and for that reason I will more than likely not punt. Glorious Twelfth will have obvious supporters given connections, and Dancingtilmidnight (I won’t be tonight!) looks progressive for today’s bumper winning training Harry Fry, whilst Carole’s Destiny is well bred and has looked okay so far so could have more to come.
 
 
My first bet of the day will probably come in the 2m2f Handicap Chase at 1.30pm on the Kim Bailey trained Ballywatt. Handled by a trainer I like a lot, this horse has some very smart looking Point form behind Simonsig and Yes Way Hosay, and although unlikely to ever scale the heights I’m sure those 2 will, I’d like to think he should be up to defying a chase mark of 110. I backed him last time out which was his first chase start (and a handicap as it was before the new Novice Chase rules came in) and he ran a nice race, slightly unlucky to finish 3rd beaten less than a length having looked the winner. He goes off the same mark tomorrow, should be fine on the ground so I’d hope he’d be competitive.
 
As if we didn’t enjoy a competitive enough Novice Chase today, tomorrow’s 2.05pm is arguably as good if not more so! Theatre Guide was super impressive in his victory a few weeks ago, and Court In Motion has the potential to make up into a smart novice chaser having returned from a long injury layoff last time (should improve a fair bit for the run).Ruby’s mount There’s No Panic will have the usual Nicholls/Walsh support and Dynaste looked extremely impressive in beating Fingal Bay at Cheltenham. Certainly a race to be watched, some serious pointers are likely to be seen with regards to the rest of the season.
 
 
My main fancy of the day comes in the Pertemps Handicap Hurdle at 2.40pm in the shape of Ballybough Pat. He will make a cracking 3m chaser next season, and in my opinion should definitely be up to defying his mark of 132 over hurdles. The trip is likely to bring about more improvement and he is proven on both good ground and heavy ground so is versatile in that regard. He has opened 7/2 with Bet365 and I’ve just invested a few quid and will be disappointed not to collect. Destroyer Deployed and Curtain Razer are both very interesting and should both stake their claims, but I’d fancy Ballybough Pat to see to them and am looking forward to the race. The only time today’s winner African Gold has lost was when beaten easily by this horse, and the only time Ballybough Pat has lost was to Wonderful Charm in the Persian War at Chepstow. That rival is being touted as a serious tool by Mr Nicholls and I think over the next few months/years that form will be franked on a serious level!
 
Prince of Pirates is not a horse I would lump on but I do feel he is well handicapped and due a win so will probably have a small interest at 5/1 but the 3.15pm is another race I wouldn’t go mad in. The 3.45pm is a slightly annoying race as it contains a couple I’ve been waiting for. Kaki De La Pree has reportedly schooled well, King Spirit looked decent when winning, Sound Investment I fancied would win next time out, and Puffin Billy looks a serious horse. For this reason I will again be taking a watching brief, but can see it turning out to be a strong Maiden Hurdle in time.
 
 
This morning’s stable tour at Alan King’s was a great experience and very enlightening. I backed his bumper horse as a result of it and although beaten he will go on to be a very nice horse in time. I will be including a couple of his horses in tomorrow’s article for Saturday’s racing and will be putting a piece together (sometime next week I’d imagine) on the morning, but for now, I’m off out for a drink in Newbury!
 
Happy Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment