Tuesday 12 March 2013

Cheltenham Festival - Day Two


Another day of top class racing on Wednesday opens at 1.30pm with the 4 mile NH chase in which I think in form Willie Mullins has another live chance with classy staying novice chaser Back In Focus. He has Graded form and could be a cut above these, plus he looks a dour stayer so should relish the test. He isn’t a big price but I think he is priced correctly and he’ll take the beating. Of the rest, Nina Carberry (pictured below) rides 8/1 shot Tofino Bay and although a 10yo, he could have a squeak as he has beaten Aupcharlie and very nearly beat Arkle runner up Baily Green.

 

The Neptune at 2.05pm is potentially my favourite race this week as I think there are some seriously talented horses in there. Pont Alexandre doesn’t look much of a price at 6/4 in a race that has plenty of class horses, but if he is as good as Mullins/Walsh think, he could win this impressively. He is without doubt a chaser for the future (he has been compared to the mighty Denman) but it has been suggested he is the most exciting novice hurdler in Clonsutton since a certain Hurricane Fly, so it would seem worthwhile taking note! The New One and Taquin Du Seuil are also horses I like a lot and will both make cracking chasers. The New One got outstayed in testing conditions last time but he showed a hugely impressive turn of foot and certainly has pace to burn which could be of great help in the drying ground (I also don’t think he was given the best of rides that day as he went for home a bit too early in my opinion). Taquin has form behind My Tent Or Yours and made the Henderson horse work hard that day, so he is certainly not out of place in this competitive heat. Chatterbox however, beat stable mate My Tent Or Yours (though I’d question that form) so is another who deserves a crack in this, but I think the other horse who could serve it up to the Mullins favourite with The New One and Taquin is the Gigginstown owned Rule The World. Davy Russell has compared his profile with that of First Lieutenant (who most will know won this race....) and he’s another who falls into the “could be anything” category. Though plenty of very promising horses in this, I’d be siding with Pont Alexandre (pictured below) and The New One (though a bug in the yard does worry me slightly), but don’t think I could split them. I love both and will go “no bet” to just enjoy the race, but think either will give a cracking run for your money.


At 2.40pm, the RSA looks fairly competitive and it’s hardly surprising to see a Mullins horse at the top of the market again. Boston Bob always looked like making a chaser but had a great season novice hurdling which culminated in a 2nd to the ill-fated Brindisi Breeze at last season’s Festival. I think the step back up to 3m will bring about a great deal of improvement from this young chaser and he could leave this season’s form behind. That said, I would be happy to take him on with something at an each way price. Unioniste and Hadrian’s Approach both hold strong claims after they finished in that order at Newbury last time. Both camps have stated their horse has come on plenty for that run so it’s hard to work out whether the form will hold up or be reversed, but Hadrian’s Approach would certainly need to have brushed up his jumping to have any chance in this. Goulanes is another with claims (I think his form with Super Duty will be franked when that hoses up in the Kim Muir on Thursday) and although Real Milan pulled up last time, I think that may be worth putting a line through as he had previously looked smart. However, I’m going to have an e/w punt in this on Houblon Des Obeaux at 10/1 (though he has been much bigger) as I think form tied to the likes of Harry Topper, Captain Conan and Rocky Creek is of a high standard. He looks like he’ll stay all day and that is important in this race as it is often fiercely run affair. He has won over course and distance over hurdles which is always a plus for Cheltenham Festival credentials, and his trainer Venetia Williams (pictured below) has been flying this year so I think he could run a nice race at a double figure price.

 

At 3.20pm, Sprinter Sacre wins the Queen Mother Champion Chase.


Onto the 4.00pm and a 28 runner handicap to get stuck into with a good few I think have live chances. Pendra I feel is rightly marked up at 7/1 as he is crying out for this trip (he’s by Old Vic). He is off 139 and I am certain he won’t be for much longer as his form with Melodic Rendezvous is very smart considering it wasn’t his optimum trip. Master Of The Sea and Fiveforthree are both 12/1 shots I think have chances, but for very different reasons. The former has recently changed hands but has been very progressive this season and even won after being bought. He could have more to come and although I won’t back him (particularly with the yard bug worry), I wouldn’t be rushing to lay him. Fiveforthree is a different sort as he has proven form in the book having won Gr1 races before a long spell on the sidelines. He also has that all important course and distance form which is vital, and although taking it for granted he retains a degree of his old ability after injury troubles, Partrick Mullins has said he is very well and expected to run a big race. He is thrown in on some of his old form and with the yard opening the week with a treble on the first day, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this one run a big race. 2 others at slightly bigger prices are Barbatos at 20/1 (who has also been off injured but has a form behind the classy Fingal Bay and Invictus, and a course win to his name so could be well handicapped after an acceptable reappearance which he’d no doubt have needed) and Hollow Tree at 25/1 (who actually beat the very smart Countrywide Flame at Christmas last season and hails from a yard who happened to have a well handicapped horse in this last year called Son Of Flicka). Of the lot I may get on a couple, but Pendra  (pictured below before switching to the ownership of JP McManus whose colours he'll be donning tomorrow) and Fiveforthree would be the 2 I am most keen on.

 

The Fred Winter at 4.40pm is another big runner handicap but there aren’t many who jump out at me in this one (aside from the Nicholls pair ridden by Walsh/Jacob). I am drawn towards the John Ferguson pair of Bordoni and Ruacana and will be having a few quid on both. The reason for this revolves around how bullish the Henderson camp has been about the chances of Megalypos, claiming he is well handicapped. Though his stable debut, Megalypos was beaten 6 lengths by Ruacana at Chepstow off level weights, and although getting 2lb tomorrow (not that 2lb would really suggest a 6lb turnaround), Jack Quinlan claims 3lb off Ruacana. Ruacana then ran with credit over in Ireland to finish around 9 lengths behind the impressive Our Connor who is obviously Triumph bound, so a mark of 139 (136 with the claim) could well be lenient if the Henderson horse is well handicapped as is to be believed. Megalypos is currently 10/1 and Ruacana is 20/1 so I think he’s worth an e/w bet on value grounds. Given the above, I’ll have to have a small bet on the Bordoni as it would appear that Denis O’Regan has opted for him ahead of Ruacana (pictured below) and so he may too be expected to go well tomorrow.

 

The day ends with a typically competitive renewal of the Champion Bumper in which I think you could pick 10 and still go home skint! Sgt Reckless will be carrying my money as I’m told he is a seriously good horse. Reports have been very good (apparently he has been doing some great homework with a very highly rated flat horse) and the yard seem extremely bullish about his chances (though when don’t yards hype up their horses?!). The other big bonus in my view is that Richard Hughes (pictured below) takes the ride – a very very very good flat jockey who is experience enough to cope with NH racing. Others worth mentioning are: Regal Encore who is owned by JP and “could be anything” as he was very impressive in beating not a lot; Fascino Rustico who cost £310,000 and has had a wind op since a disappointing debut; Le Vent D’Antan who is trained by the same connections who sold Cheltenian on before his win in this race and are very clued up with these sorts; and Milo Milan who I think could turn out to be a very very good horse for Evan Williams. I will also mention Sir Alex Ferguson’s runner Im Fraam Govan as although I don’t think he’ll be winning, if he did it would ruin my week as he took my breath away in winning a hot race with consummate ease on debut before flopping on the all weather. The more it dries out the better for him and I’ll probably end up having a stupidly loyal e/w saver on him at 50/1 but Sgt Reckless is hopefully the money train!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment