Saturday 15 December 2012

International Hurdle Day at Cheltenham

Another mixed day yesterday with Bradley flopping and Uncle Junior crashing out, but the day paid for by Dark Lover (who was available at around 6/1) and At Fishers Cross (around 3/1 and the advised forecast also came in!). Though not making frame I thought it worth mentioning that Imperial Leader ran a cracker yesterday, understandably outpaced over a trip too short but staying on gamely and not beaten at all far. Given he is only a 4yo and had to give 6lb to most of this talented field, I'm certain he'll be winning sooner rather than later so is one to stick in your tracker!
 
Not the best of cards at Cheltenham again today and due to the extreme weather (I imagine the ground will ride very heavy today) I won't be having a bet, though I'm already on Notus De La Tour who was put up a few weeks ago on http://kingofthejumps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/could-notus-be-ante-post-value-in.html. The race looks a decent one and the other 2 I'd fancy would be Paul Nicholls' pair of Unioniste and Cristal Bonus. The former jumped like a veteran on chase debut in a hot race behind Dynaste and Fingal Bay and should come on for it as he had a wind op in the summer. The latter I feel has plenty more to come and could be the class horse of the race.
 
The big race aside I wouldn't be looking to have a bet but as always will have a close eye on proceedings. Handazan could have more to come since being gelded and will love conditions but he'd have to improve a serious amount to reverse the form with Far West who could be one of the best juveniles around this season. Coneygree won well here last time and as ever course form is a crucial factor at Cheltenham so he could be up to repeating that effort. Our Father will take all the beating in the Novice Chase but Highland Lodge could run a nice race under Barry Geraghty as I feel he's up to winning one of these 3m contests in testing conditions. The International Hurdle doesn't boast the biggest of fields but is certainly not lacking in quality as it contains 3 very live Champion Hurdle contenders in Zarkandar, Grandouet and Rock On Ruby. I'm not sure what to make of the race given the very testing conditions and I'm not sure the result will have much of an influence on my views for the race in March, but I'm hoping Zarkandar prevails as I have him in my Ten To Follow team and it's going quite well! Oscar Whisky is also in my team and you'd expect him to oblige at whatever pointless odds on price he goes off at.
 
 
Cheltenham aside I actually fancy a few elsewhere today and Doncaster hosts a nice little card. Kings Grace is quite highly regarded by the McCain team so should have more to come and Rocky Creek (pictured below) is potentially a top class novice chaser and should come on a lot for his chase debut when narrowly missing out to Harry Topper (who advertised the form at Newbury a fortnight ago). Samtegal may not be favourite for the juvenile but could make it a double on the card for the Champion Trainer as he has stated this horse would be on a par with Far West; a level of form that you'd expect to be good enough to take this affair. The horse I'm most looking forward to today is the Kim Bailey trained Midnight Oscar, who lines up in the Novice Hurdle at Doncaster. Midnight Oscar is a cracking prospect for a trainer many of you will be aware I'm a huge fan of. MO was beaten on hurdle debut but Ludlow would be plenty sharp enough and I'd say he'll come on loads for the run and be better suited by this more galloping track. He's certainly an exciting prospect for the future regardless of how he fares today, but he should run a nice race so may be worth a punt depending on the price.
 
 
Lingfield hosts the day's other jumps meeting in England and Tanerko Emery should take all the beating as he won cosily last weekend after a cheekily confident ride at Ascot. Court In Motion has 2 declarations today but Lingfield is his preferred engagement and he's a horse I feel will progress as a chaser, though he's likely to be no price. The other horse I'll be watching there is Alphabetical Order, who has joined Tim Vaughan having previously been trained by Colin Tizzard. His former handler stated in a stable tour that "he'll be alright next time and I'll be disappointed if he can't win a bumper". He hasn't run since but a move to Vaughan is hardly a step back and he could be up to winning one soon.
 
Good luck if you have a bet today but I doubt I'll get involved unless I feel something is seriously overpriced (though I may not be able to resist a bet on Midnight Oscar!).

No comments:

Post a Comment